General Language sites |
English as a Second Language (ESL) |
Language dictionaries |
Specific Language sites
Foreign Language programming
The following channels are available on televisions in the 1st floor Listening/Viewing Area in Emerson Library:
- Channel 14: Spanish (For program schedules, see TV-EI)
- Channel 16: French (For program schedules, see www.tv5.org)
- Channel 18: German Deutsche-Welle (DW-TV) on all TVs except in L/V 127; ProSiebenSat.1 Welt on TV in L/V 127. (For DW-TV program schedules, visit Dish Network. From the Online Channel Guide, choose All Channels and enter the library's zip code 63119. At the next screen, in the Jump to Channel box, enter DW. For ProSieben program schedules, see ProSieben)
General comprehensive language sites
- Ethnologue: Languages of the World
- Web version of an encyclopedic reference work cataloguing over 6,900 known living languages.Offers browsing by country, language, or language family to find demographic linguistic information.
- FSI Language Courses
- Offers language courses developed by the U.S. Foreign Service Institute with printed text books [PDF] and digitized audiotapes for over 30 languages including Arabic, Thai and Chinese.
- iLoveLanguages (formerly the Human Languages Page)
- Links to a variety of sources, including lessons and tutorials, area studies, translation services, texts, and commercial resources.
- Mango Languages
- An easy to use, interactive tool that teaches practical conversational skills and valuable cultural insight for 45 foreign languages and 15 English as a second language (ESL) courses. Each course includes memory building exercises, grammar notes, cultural notes, critical thinking exercises, and interactive phonetic spellings.
- Yahoo's List on Languages
English as a Second Language
- Learning Express
- For TOEFL exam practice tests and tutorials.
This database requires login with your Webster ID number and site registration to view tests and other learning materials.
- Dave's ESL Cafe
- A searchable site for students and teachers. Features a job center, discussion center, message exchange, ideas and quizzes, and extensive links to other ESL Internet sites.
- Helpful site for learners and teachers of English as a second language. The site includes lessons on grammar, vocabulary, and pronounciation as well as interactive games, forums, quizzes, jokes and study abroad information.
- Site for English learners organized by zones covering grammar, reading, verbs, basic skills, fun stuff, pronunciation, idioms and more.
- TESL, TEFL, TESOL, ESL, EFL, ESOL Links of Interest to Students and Teachers of English as a Second Language
- A collection of links maintained by the Internet TESOL Journal.
The Online English Grammar (Hughes)
- A well-organized, United Kingdom site. Provides a table of contents and alphabetical subject index, as well as links to an English grammar clinic and practice pages and tests by various authors.
UsingEnglish.com - Resources for English as a Second Language
- A collection of ESL tools and resources for students, teachers, learners, & academics.
- Webster University - Department of International Languages and Culture - ESL English as a Second Language
- French Connection
- This site is "a feast for francophiles" offering a wide range of resources on French language and culture.
- Le Monde
- French daily newspaper.
- Paris Match
- French magazine which includes some articles in English.
- Der Spiegel
- German weekly magazine.
- Die Welt
- German newspaper.
- Corriere della Sera
- Italian newspaper.
- New Latin Grammar (Allen & Greenough)
- The "Perseus" project version of this classic reference work. (An additional version is offered by Professor William Harris of Middlebury College.)
Countries in Latin America & the Caribbean (LANIC)
- Has information broken down by country and resource.
- La Jornada
- Mexican newspaper providing current news, editorials, cartoons, etc.
- El Mundo
- A well-known national Spanish newspaper.
Latin American and Spanish Videos Freely Available on the Internet: A Guide to Web Resources
- A guide to Web resources of freely available videos, representing the great variety and diversity of Latin American and Spanish video production on the Internet.
- Foreign Languages for Travelers
- Provides vocabulary and pronunciation (if your computer has sound capabilities) for mainly modern European languages, Latin, and selected Middle Eastern and Asian languages. Also has links to dictionaries and cultural information for various countries.
- Language Dictionaries and Translators
- Connections to single and multilingual dictionaries in numerous languages. Also provides links to related resources, such as language software, courses, and chat sites.
- Oxford English Dictionary (OED) (Webster ID required for access)
- A historical dictionary of English which traces words back to their entry into the language. Each entry describes where the word came from and shows how it has been used in various writings through the years. Continuously updated to include language from the present day.
- yourDictionary.com (formerly Web of On-line Dictionaries)
- Offers links to an extensive list of on-line resources for languages from Afrikaans to Zulu. Includes dictionaries (general and specialized), thesauri, multilingual sources, and related works. Well-organized site.
For databases containing articles and other information: